Monday 2 May 2011

Blog three: summarise of project findings.

My project was to look into Issue-based teaching using an Inclusive ethos within theatre, and applying “alcohol awareness amongst youth” as the issue for the source of research and theatrical workshop with my target group in the company in which I work. The idea was to gain an understanding of the ethos and method’s used on the BTEC national curriculum within my company, and then by creating a workshop based on the issue of my choice, put into practice the teaching methodology to see how the course method’s benefit the student’s learning, and could be improved. Through using observation- both on the outside of the target group, and actively within the group supporting and experiencing how the students work, interview, and questionnaires, I gained an understanding of how the course is run, and the methods implemented, combining edexcel criteria with the inclusive ethos. With this, I also maintained the knowledge and experiences the students have in the subject; so to apply the data collected from the students into the workshop activities.

  • Through doing this project I have found in using Inclusive issue-based theatrical methods in an “alcohol awareness amongst youth” workshop, 60% of the students felt their views had changed positively on the subject, and had more of an awareness on the subject.
  • By using a more practical approach to a subject with which awareness needs to be spread, teenagers/youth are more receptive.
  • They gain the meaning by balancing this out with discussions on what an activity was about, how it made the students feel, and why it was done enabling students to show understanding verbally and through their own point of view. This also allowed students to explain if they felt an activity was executed in a good way, or if they felt it could improve or changed.
  • By implementing the use of theatrical text/script, improvisation activities, devising activities, and data on the subject, students gain an understanding of the topic through various teaching inventions.

In doing this project, I have gained an understanding in professional practice as to how to maintain and execute, with high-quality, issue-based learning in the theatre. This is a project I feel can go on to be re-visited and altered again from the findings I collected in doing the project.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    Issue-based works shops are very successful, as both you and I have found out with our project. I think your choice of issue 'alcohol awareness amongst youths' is really important. How old were your target group exactly? I remember when I was young lots of my peers including myself indulging alcohol with understanding the repercussions. I also recall quite a few time friends having alcohol poising which is life threaten. I think when you're young you don't think about the effects or dangers. So it is a really good cause what your project has aim do to and a success to find 60% of participants views had changed positively. Well Done Sarah
    L x

    ReplyDelete